Friday, September 24, 2010

Punctuation ...! ? : ; ( ) -

This week in class we did a punctuation inquiry.  We looked through books to locate uses of punctuation and then using context clues, determined their purpose in the situation.  Through this lesson, I learned of the benefit of self exploration by the child, as well as determining a working definition in ones own words, which makes it more meaningful and memorable to the person.  I learned the name for "...." an ellipse as well as its uses, and also a dash or hyphen.
We also did a read aloud where we had to participate in the reading.  At first it was awkward, but then we kind of got into the story and participating and it was actually fun. 
This week we had our first writer's notebook conference as well, and I must admit it was strange.  My partner and I had no clue what to talk about or record.  Hopefully we figure it out soon and become comfortable with one another that we are both able to benefit from the conferences.
In my classroom at University this week I got to observe and participate in some interesting work with students.  I was working with a girl who needed help determining an invention to produce for the Invention Convention project for the sixth grade class.  It was interesting to see how we had to give her hints about possible topics, while not picking them for her as well as guiding her away from insufficient projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment